Tuesday 1 January 2013

Picture your Future

Happy New Year and may 2013 be a special year for you.

What do you have planned? Perhaps you haven't got around to it, or when you do make New Years resolutions they don't seem to work out. In that case I would like to share a very simple idea I learnt from someone many years ago.


I was on an advanced coaching course and met Martin and he shared his family 'objective setting' technique with me. Every year Martin and his wife sit down with their kids and say what do we want to do / achieve in the coming year. This generated a mixture of places they wanted to visit, things they wanted to do, school and work things they wanted to achieve. Now the really clever bit that prevented it becoming the usual old boring list, was they turned their ambition into a picture. They harvested pictures from old magazines and created a montage which they framed and hung in their kitchen.

I said to Martin that I thought it was a great idea, but how successful was it in terms of achievement. His answer was that it was amazing as every year they achieved almost 100% of their goals. This really impressed me and years later when I was developing a team programme I got in touch with Martin to get his permission to use his goal setting tool. He told me they still used it, it still worked for them and the only difference was that as his kids got older they had become increasingly ambitious in their ambitions particularly for holidays.

I called the tool 'Picture my Future' and introduced it as a very powerful coaching tool as I realised that the more people visualise what they are setting out to achieve, the more the goal resides in their subconscious mind. Somehow they then strive subconsciously to achieve their goals, and true enough the results flow. I have used this tool every year for the last six years and I know it works very well. Just before Christmas I received an email from someone who I had introduced the tool to years ago. She too had continued to use it and confirmed that it had 'made her dreams come true'.

Why don't you try it and picture how you want your 2013 to look like.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment